In recent years, Sony Bravia have become synonymous with high quality, technologically advanced TVs, and since 2005, most of Sony’s flat screened, high definition LCD and OLED TVs have carried the Bravia badge in the US, and beyond.
Standing for Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture (is it any wonder they shortened it to Bravia?) the three best sellers possess the expected excellent build quality, amazing features with some really innovative ideas, and jaw dropping visuals. So here’s our pick of the best.
Sony X950G 55 Inch TV: 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV with HDR and Alexa Compatibility - 2019 Model
$1,032.54 in stock
2 used from $1,032.54
- HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE: Experience incredible detail, brightness and clarity with 4K UHD resolution
- X-WIDE ANGLE: Sit anywhere in the room to enjoy incredible real-world color with the 85inch X950G
- IMMERSIVE AUDIO: Acoustic Multi-Audio syncs sound with action to create Sound-from Picture Reality
- ULTIMATE REALISM: Enjoy clear, vibrant colors with TRILUMINOS Display and 4K HDR Super Bit Mapping
- NO MOTION BLUR: Watch lifelike on-screen action with virtually no blur with Motion flow XR technology
As usual, Sony’s design is flawless. With a near bezel-less screen, what frame there is has an innovative two tone metal finish, which extends to the L-shaped feet. All in all, this is a good-looking beast, whether placed on a shelf or wall mounted. Another great design feature are the two down firing speakers – the Acoustic Multi-Audio system. Coupled with two tweeters, the sound appears to emanate from the screen’s center, producing an effective and impressive audio theater. The neat cable-tidy channel keeps clutter out of sight, and the whole deal looks highly professional and stylish.
A decent choice of ports, including 4 HDMI and 2 USB ports, and Bluetooth 4.2 connections, offer a wide selection for your devices.
Performance wise, the image quality is one of the best we’ve seen. It’s an impressively natural display, with a wide color gamut and great contrasts. With Sony’s X-tended Dynamic Range Pro 6, 4K HDR Picture Processor X1, and Full Array Local Dimming and Boosting, the image is vibrant and accurate. Even the darkest scenes in Blade Runner 2049 (come on, we had to test it with something shot in near pitch black) were rich, with detailed contrasts, thanks to the Object Based Super Resolution, which provides lifelike textures and detailing. The whites have none of the irritating haloing that sometimes occurs, even in high performance screens, while the X-Wide Angle technology opens up the screen, maintaining consistency for those far outside the direct viewing range.
Sony have gone all out, developing advanced technology, and, yes, it has to be said, giving that tech power names. However, even without the addition of strong titles, the image quality is something to admire from any angle in the room!
The smart features, as you’d expect, are well designed, despite the diversive Android OS. Sony has worked hard on the hardware, offering faster and more effective accessibility, with popular services, such as Netflix, YouTube and Amazon, apparently starting up to 60% faster. Although this is hard to measure, we certainly felt everything ran smoother and speedier than other brands. Both Google Assistant and Alexa are always on hand, if you’re feeling too relaxed to move.
To conclude, the Sony Bravia X950G is a TV to be proud of, to show off to the neighbors and to sit back, enjoying the fully immersive experience that’s offered. In a market full of snapping-at-the-heels competitors, ironically the only competition standing in Sony’s way at present, is Sony. Their range of Bravia TVs is successfully filling the high spec end of the market, and rightly so, as this model proves.
Sony XBR-65A9G 65 Inch TV: MASTER Series BRAVIA OLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV with HDR and Alexa Compatibility - 2019 Model
$3,298.00 in stock
4 used from $2,649.99
- DIMENSIONS: With stand- 57 x 33 x 10 1/8 inch | Without stand - 57 x 32 7/8 x 1 5/8 inch | Weight w/o stand - 46.7 lb
- IN THE BOX: 65" TV with stand, remote, batteries, power cord, IR blaster, start guide, and manual.
- SMART ANDROID TV with GOOGLE ASSISTANT: Use your voice to control your TV and smart home devices, easily search for movies and shows, get answers, and manage tasks, all hands-free.
- WORKS WITH ALEXA & APPLE AIRPLAY: Through an Alexa enabled device, just ask Alexa to play music, launch video apps, turn up the volume, and more. Also integrate your iPhone and Siri devices with your Sony TV for effortless smart home management and content streaming.
- MASTER OF QUALITY: Faithfully conveys creator’s intent on screen to deliver the best picture quality.
This OLED TV is part of Sony’s Master series, and we don’t think we’re far wrong by declaring this a drop dead gorgeous TV. Design wise, it follows the same principles as the X950G – slim, sleek and sexy, with a wide range of ports, and input/outputs, including 4 HDMI, USB and Bluetooth options.
There is not much to choose between this display and the X950G, although the OLED does provide dramatically better cost efficiency, and a brighter, more defined picture. Blacks are a little darker, whilst the lighter colors possess a little more accuracy.
The Netflix calibrated mode combined with the 4K display, full local dimming, and Object Based Super Resolution, provide an unsurpassed ease of accessibility, amazing image quality, superb contrasts and textures, and fabulously accurate colors. Which all add to the justifiability of this TV’s price band.
As you’d expect from a Bravia, the smart platform is smugly superior, and we swear Google Assistant and Alexa are sniggering behind their metaphorical hands, at lesser competitors, as they bend to our will. With Chromecast built-in, this TV can handle streaming content from any device, and controlling your smart home is ridiculously easy.
It has to be said that the quality of the Sony XBR-65A9G justifies the price tag, and if you can stretch to it, you really won’t be disappointed.
Sony X800G 43 Inch TV: 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV with HDR and Alexa Compatibility - 2019 Model
1 used from $597.97
- Rediscover detail with 4K X-Reality PRO: With 4K X-Reality PRO, every image is upscaled closer to true 4K quality for remarkable clarity
- Motionflow XR 240: Enjoy smooth and sharp details even in fast-moving sequences with Motionflow XR; 60Hz Refresh Rate
- Works with Alexa: Connect your Alexa-enabled devices for seamless hands-free control of your Sony TV. With Alexa, you can power up your TV, change channels, control volume, and more
- Made to listen: Your listening is as lifelike as your viewing. ClearAudio+ fine tunes TV sound for an immersive, emotionally enriching experience that seems to surround you.
- Chromecast built-in: You can easily cast your favorite entertainment like YouTube or Netflix from your personal device on to the stunning BRAVIA screen
Just like the X950G and XBR-65A9G, this smaller model has the same build quality and styling, with almost non existent bezels, neat, sturdy feet and the option to tidy cables away. Again, it has multiple connectivity options, including 4 HDMI and 3 USB ports.
With an image quality that isn’t far behind its big brothers, Sony’s 4K X-Reality PRO offers a gloriously realistic picture, successfully eliminating any on-screen noise, allowing accurately vibrant coloring and touchable textural detailing. Although it lacks local dimming, the edge lighting provides deep, uniform blacks across the whole screen, and decent whites, thanks to the Dynamic Contrast Enhancer. The fully immersive experience is added to with Motionflow XR, which reduces any action lag to zero, and a decent response time.
The smart features are great, with this model (2019) having the latest Android 8.0 version. The interface looks and feels smooth and intuitive, and the app library, via the Google Play store, is vast. Both Google Assistant and the ever reliable Alexa are on hand to help you search, and control your smart home.
The Sony X800G is a decent TV, and whilst not as high spec as the others, provides good value for money and is well worth considering.
If you enjoyed this page, and are looking for other great brands, then consider giving these pages a read too!