Once one of the big names at the forefront of HD technology, alongside Samsung, LG, and Sony, Toshiba has, in recent years, been on rocky footing. But in the last year, Toshiba is successfully pushing the other brands out of the way, and climbing back up there, producing decent quality TVs, whilst still keeping prices reasonable. So, if you’re looking for a bargain, Toshiba is well worth serious consideration.
The top three best selling Toshiba TV are all very similar in quality and features. The build quality on all three is impressive for the price, and design-wise, they all look good. The bezels, whilst not the thinnest we’ve seen, are pretty unobtrusive, and the retro style curved stand supports the screen nicely. The stand can be removed, however, for wall mounting. The multiple connectivity ports are situated near the edge on the back panel, but are easily accessible, and include 3 HDMI inputs, along with USB, Ethernet, and audio jacks.
Amazon’s Fire OS is featured on all three models, and as usual, the only complaint is the quantity of advertising – but that’s the price paid for such an easy-to-navigate system. It has to be said that as an OS, Amazon Fire packs a punch. With a vast app library, plus the preprogrammed Netflix, YouTube, and of course, Amazon itself, you’re spoilt for choice, and with the app ecosystem broken down into categories, most of the work is done for you. The ever-willing Alexa is always on hand to assist. She’ll also adjust screen settings and take charge of your smart home – unfortunately, though, she still can’t make a decent cup of java. We can dream.
Across the board the image quality is surprisingly good, considering the prices. The native contrast, and black uniformity, lends the picture a realistic feel, and although none feature local dimming, the blacks are deep and rich enough not to miss it. The whites, too, are bright, but natural, with none of the halo effect that some cheaper TVs suffer from.
With 4K UHD, the colors are accurate, vibrant and stunningly clear, and although the TF – 32, doesn’t quite match the other two for resolution, unless comparing side by side, you wouldn’t notice any lack of picture quality. For fast action movies, sports and gaming the quick refresh rate eliminates any annoying judders or jerkiness, creating smooth flawless action.
Audio-wise, all three would benefit from a dedicated soundbar. That said, their audio performances are pretty decent, with low and mid ranges fully represented, and the high demonstrating an almost, but not quite, imperceptible, distortion at full volume. However, you wouldn’t want to crank it up all the way anyway – these TVs go loud with a capital L.
Toshiba has aptly demonstrated their ability to play nicely with the big boys with these models and has caught up, and in some cases overtaken, the competition. Cornering the low budget/high-quality market has brought them back to the forefront of popular TV manufacturers, and it’s nice to see. It’s fair to say, we’re impressed by what we’ve seen, and consider any one of these three models well worth giving up wall space for.
Toshiba TF-32A710U21 32-inch Smart HD TV - Fire TV Edition
$139.99 in stock
- Fire TV Edition brings together live-over-the air TV and your streaming content on the home screen. Connect any HD antenna (sold separately) to watch live over-the-air TV or stream movies and shows from Disney+, Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, Hulu, and more.
- Everything you’d expect from a remote – plus launch apps, search for TV shows, switch inputs, control smart home devices and more, using just your voice. With Prime Video, Netflix buttons, instantly access your favorite apps.
- This TV is smart and simple in every way. Just plug it in, connect to Wi-Fi and enjoy. Plus, your TV keeps getting smarter with new Alexa skills and features through automatic over-the-air software updates, so that you always have the latest.
- Watch over 500,000 streaming movies and TV episodes in HD, from Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Hulu, and more. Plus, access tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills.
- With Fire TV Edition it’s easy to see everything you’ve recently watched – live TV, streaming services and connected devices – in one place. Plus, you can connect your cable/satellite box or gaming console through one of the TV’s three HDMI inputs.
All-New Toshiba 43LF621U21 43-inch Smart 4K UHD with Dolby Vision - Fire TV Edition, Released 2020
- Voice remote with Alexa: Use your voice to watch live TV, launch apps, search for titles, play music, switch inputs, control smart home devices, and more.
- Endless Entertainment: Watch over 500,000 streaming movies and TV episodes with access to tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills.
- Access your favorite content: Fire TV Edition seamlessly integrates live over-the-air TV and streaming channels on a unified home screen.
- 4K Ultra HD (2160p resolution): Enjoy breathtaking 4K movies and TV shows at 4 times the resolution of Full HD, and upscale your current content to Ultra HD-level picture quality.
- Watch high dynamic range (HDR) content on your TV: With an HDR-compatible 4K TV, you can enjoy HDR movies and TV shows, in addition to all your current content.
Toshiba 55LF711U20 55-inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV HDR - Fire TV Edition
- Fire TV experience built-in - Fire TV Edition brings together live-over-the air TV, and your favorite streaming content on the home screen. Connect any HD antenna (sold separately) to watch live over-the-air TV, or stream movies and shows from Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and more.
- True-to-life picture quality - Experience breathtaking 4K Ultra HD picture quality with over 8 million pixels for stunning clarity, deep contrast and vivid colors. Watch movies and TV shows come to life in ultra high deﬁnition.
- Voice Remote with Alexa - Everything you’d expect from a remote – plus launch apps, search for TV shows, switch inputs, control smart home devices and more, using just your voice. With Prime Video, Netflix buttons, instantly access your favorite apps.
- Keeps getting smarter - This TV is smart and simple in every way. Just plug it in, connect to Wi-Fi and enjoy. Plus, your TV keeps getting smarter with new Alexa skills and features through automatic over-the-air software updates, so that you always have the latest.
- Endless entertainment - Watch over 500,000 streaming movies and TV episodes in HD or Ultra HD, from Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, and more. Plus, access tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills.
How high should I mount my Toshiba TV?
How high you mount your Toshiba TV depends on the screen size and the size of your room. With these two figures you can calculate the correct viewing height, which will tell you how high your TV should be mounted.
Where are Toshiba TVs manufactured?
Toshiba are a Japanese company, originally manufactured in Japan, but since 2015, their TVs have been made in North America.
What size TV do I need?
The size of TV you require depends on the size of your room and your budget. Consider both before thinking about the right TV size for you.
If you enjoyed this page, and are looking for other great brands, then consider giving these pages a read too!