Cleaning windows is one thing, splashing on water, letting it run down the glass, before working hard to polish it off, but cleaning your flat-screen TV is quite another. For a start, your high tech flat screen’s chassis is full of delicate electronics and get even the smallest drop of water on them and your TV could be ruined forever. Secondly, any amount of forceful rubbing on the screen’s surface could result in pixel damage, and thirdly harsh chemicals or sponges can scratch the microscopically thin protective layer that lies over the glass screen.
So, gentle, no chemicals, and only slightly damp cleaning clothes are the way to go, but what, then, can you use to clean off dirt and grime, whilst leaving a streak-free finish?
You’ll need several clean lint-free microfiber cloths, distilled water and some regular household vinegar. In a spray bottle, make up a mixture of 50% distilled water and 50% vinegar.
- Start by unplugging your TV from the power outlet
- With a clean, dry microfiber cloth, gently wipe over the TV screen, removing any loose dust. Make sure you get right into the corners
- Use a drop of neat vinegar on the cloth to remove any stubborn marks
- Lightly spray the microfiber cloth with the vinegar/water solution, ensuring that it’s only very slightly damp
- Wipe over the TV screen using a circular motion
- Use neat vinegar if any marks still remain
- Finally, using a clean dry cloth, gently wipe the screen
This will result in a beautifully streak-free screen, allowing nothing to spoil that movie you’ve been waiting to watch!
For more flat screen cleaning hacks, check out this YouTube video: