Sometimes all you want is a small TV. If you live in an apartment, are a student with a limited budget, or are looking for a second set for your home, you might not want a huge intrusive screen, along with the associated price tag.
Often possessing all the high tech specs as larger models, coupled with a slick contemporary flat screen, smaller models can include smart capabilities. With the ability to download movies, and stream online content, internet services such as Netflix, Amazon, or Facebook are easily accessible. For gamers, the smaller screen size allows for uninterrupted sessions away from the rest of the household.
These are our pick of the top three smaller, but still perfectly formed, TVs.
TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model)
2 used from $149.76
- Dimensions (w x H x D): TV without stand: 28.8 x 17.1 x 3.0 Inches , TV with stand: 28.8 x 19.1 x 7.1 Inches
- Smart Functionality offers access to over 5, 000 streaming channels featuring more than 500, 000 movies and TV episodes via Roku TV
- 1080p Full HD Resolution for a lifelike picture
- Direct lit LED produces great picture quality with 120Hz refresh Rate for fast moving action scenes with virtually no Motion blur
- Inputs: 3 HDMI, 1 USB, RF, Composite, Headphone Jack, Optical audio Out
Although this 32 inch screen seems diminutive, these looks are deceptive. This packs all the power of its bigger brothers. With a stylish, minimalistic design, featuring neat, slimline bezels, and unobtrusive feet, it can be easily wall mounted if required. The ports, including 3 HDMI inputs, are easily accessible wherever the screen is situated.
A direct lit LED screen, with a decent resolution of 1080p, the image quality for a TV of this size, is great. Many smaller screens don’t carry the full HD resolution, but as usual with TCL, they have gone the distance, and provided this model with a true-to-life quality. The blacks are solidly black, but not overpowering, while the brights don’t detract from the scene or bleed around the edges. The colors are sharp and vibrant and with a refresh rate of 120Hz there’s no motion blur on even the fastest action.
Our only, very minor issue, is that at high volume there is a slight audio distortion; however, high volume is ear bleedingly loud and in the normal course of events, you wouldn’t need to go anywhere near that.
The smart functionality offers access, via TCL’s Roku platform, to over 5000 streaming channels with 500, 000 movies and TV episodes, more than anyone could watch in a lifetime. Compatibility with Alexa and Google Assistant means that finding something to watch is super simple – just ask and it shall appear.
All in all, this is a decent quality small TV, offering everything you could want, at a great price.
Insignia NS-24DF310NA19 24-inch 720p HD Smart LED TV- Fire TV Edition
- Insignia HD Smart TV – Fire TV Edition delivers 720p picture quality with deep blacks and rich colors.
- With the Fire TV experience built-in, enjoy tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills, including Disney+, Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, and more
- Fire TV Edition seamlessly integrates live over-the-air TV and streaming channels on a unified home screen (HD antenna required).
- Easily control your TV with the included Voice Remote with Alexa—plus, launch apps, search for titles, play music, switch inputs, control smart home devices, and more, using just your voice.
- Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 21.9” x 13.5” x 2.7”, TV with stand: 21.9” x 15.3” x 6.8”. Multiple device input/output options: 3 HDMI including 1 with ARC, USB, composite input, antenna/cable input, digital output (optical), audio output, Ethernet.
The perfect example that small size doesn’t mean poor quality, this screen from Insignia delivers a good all round experience. Admittedly, in terms of appearance, it’s pretty generic with plain black bezels, and a sturdy, square based stand. The 3 HDMI ports are situated along the side, which eliminates any need to scrabble around at the back, and there’s a discreet row of controls running along the front of the TV, useful if you lose the remote.
Offering accurate colors, the gamut range is good, and provides decently dark blacks, contrasting nicely alongside the brights without either being overwhelming. Textures appear well defined and realistic, and the 720p resolution works well in a screen this size. The viewing angle, however, is not as wide as we’d like, and when watching from the widest point, the colors lose a little accuracy. A refresh rate of 60Hz copes well with fast moving action scenes, and as such, this would make a great little gaming display.
Insignia’s interface could be seen by some as a little clunky, but it works well, with a smooth, logical navigation. Streaming and downloading is simple, and with access to apps, including Netflix, YouTube and Prime, Alexa can search for anything you like. She can also control your smart home, while you relax.
Insignia’s addition to the small screen market is a decent TV, and although not stand-out remarkable, it offers a large range of features, provides great image quality, and comes in at a budget friendly price.
Samsung Electronics UN32N5300AFXZA 32" 1080p Smart LED TV (2018), Black
$158.05 in stock
3 used from $158.05
- Full HD 1080p: enjoy a viewing experience that is 2x the clarity of standard HD TVs
- Smart TV: access your streaming services all in one place using the Samsung remote control
- Quad Core Processor: enjoy a Fluid browsing experience and faster control switching between apps, streaming content and other media effortlessly.*
- Motion Rate 60: enjoy a clear moving picture Resolution at Motion Rate 60 with amazing refresh Rate, processing speed and backlight technology
Samsung’s 32’’ smart TV is neat, compact and jam packed with great features. Although not particularly slimline, when compared to other small models, it’s positively svelte. The bezels, whilst stylish and thinner than average, are plastic, but the feet are stable and unobtrusive. The build quality Samsung is renowned for is ably demonstrated with this model.
The 1080p display is pleasingly sharp, with a crisp, clear contrast, and the full gamut of rich, vibrant colors, thanks to Samsung’s PurColor. However, there is a small issue with backlighting in the corners; it’s unnoticeable when viewed just on this TV, but when placed side by side with another, there are very slight shadows in two corners. Detailing is nicely defined, and a 60Hz refresh rate allows for judder-free scrolling, and smooth running action scenes.
The smart features and built-in WiFi allow live streaming from services, including Hula, Netflix and YouTube, and the interactive settings, coupled with the user friendly remote control, make this TV simple to install and access. Through Samsung’s Connect Hub, your whole smart home can be controlled from your sofa.
Samsung a great choice if you’re looking for a small TV that gives you all the features of a larger model at a fraction of the price.
If you enjoyed this page, and are looking for a TV with great features, then consider giving these pages a read too!