With Alexa hanging on your every word, managing a smart home can feel awesomely powerful – or maybe that’s just us. But it can be frustrating, however, when she doesn’t understand what you want, so we’re going to take a closer look at controlling your TV via Alexa.
It’s simple to connect Alexa to your smart TV, requiring no specialist knowledge whatsoever, so once that’s done, the fun can begin!
Which commands can Alexa understand?
There are thousands of commands that Alexa understands, and it’s fun every time a new instruction is discovered. However, if you just want to relax after a long day at work or you’ve got your mates round for movie night, here are the best commands for you to know:
- To switch TV on/off – Alexa, turn on/off TV
- To switch to a different channel – Alexa, switch to/go to/watch [channel name]
- To find a movie on a streaming app – Alexa, play [movie name] on Prime
- To find a specific movie genre – Alexa, search for action movies/search for horror movies on Netflix
- To find a specific actor’s movies – Alexa, show me Tom Hanks’ movies
- To control the playing of a movie – Alexa, skip forward/go back 10 seconds/pause
- To find an app – Alexa, search for/download [app name/genre]
And the fun doesn’t stop there. From the comfort of your sofa, you can control your whole smart home via the lovely Alexa. Ask her to put the lights on, and if you have smart lightbulbs, she’ll switch them on. Cooker, washing machine, in fact, any smart-enabled device and she’s got it sorted!
It’s impossible to list every command Alexa understands, so why not watch this video for loads more to use: